One of the focus areas for some prototyping we plan to do in the near future is an effort to allow users to explore timelines of their ancestors that combine a richness of data into an easy to understand format. This is really hard to do. To give you an idea, here is the type of content we'd like to pull together automatically for any random ancestor a user would like to learn about.
- Genealogical events and associated records for an individual
- Genealogical events and associated records for an individual's family (parents, siblings, spouse, children)
- Modern day and historic maps showing the geographic locations of these events (think Google Earth or Google Maps)
- Historical events that would have impacted people in that place and time
- Historical events that might not have impacted the person but which have impacted their ancestors
- Historical texture (fashion, sports, transportation, entertainment, etc.) throughout the ancestor's life
What would you like to see in a timeline like this?
Have you seen any interesting timelines that would be worth looking at before we start?